3.11.2012

Welcome WILLIAM MCDONALD. (a birth story)

Life has been crazy the last few weeks.  Both enjoyable and exhausting.  I figured that before I got into a post on all of the new things going on in our life, maybe we should welcome our newest addition to our little clan. 
WILLIAM SAMUEL MCDONALD
Born in Great Falls, MT
February 15, 2012 at 1:53pm
7lbs. 6oz. 20in.

In a rather disappointing trip to the Dr. on Valentines day, we were told that the baby was just not ready yet. The PA that I had seen most of the pregnancy (this pregnancy wasn't as complicated as previous ones) was against induction and had the mindset that babies come when they are ready despite complications with mommies. I was barely dilated (despite being nearly a 3 the previous visit) and the baby was high again. My blood pressure was high, but managed with bed rest, and we were going to have to wait at least another week. 
 We were told to come back the following Monday and be evaluated for induction.  At that point Chris suggested we wait until Tuesday (as that is his birthday)...  I nearly jumped off the exam table to strangle him!  I was no longer able to breathe, everything was swollen and hurt, I couldn't hold my other two babies, and I was confined to bed rest... and he wanted me to WaIt AnOtHeR DaY... I don't think so.
  Reluctantly I agreed to wait it out for another appointment. 
 We went out to the desk to make the appointment for Monday, but to my dismay, the receptionist said that they were closed Monday due to presidents day and neither of my Dr's were in on Tuesday.  I was upset at this point (having really expected to be told that we could go to hospital today) and decided not to make an appointment.  I asked the nurse to have the DR. make an appointment for me and call me to let me know when it was.  Then it was back to work for Chris while I headed home to let the rest of the world know that there was still no baby... and we didn't even have an appointment to find out more info. 
 I just finished calling the family and letting everyone know that we weren't having baby when I got the call from Dr. Key.  Turns out, he is for induction when blood pressure is high and wanted me to go in to the hospital to be induced That Night =). 
 I quickly called Chris and let him know the change of plans.  It was a total shock to him.  He was completely thrown off for the rest of the adventure, it was pretty funny really.  I packed our bags as Chris came home.  We had a mini family Valentines Day as we all exchanged cards and little gifts.  We explained to the kids that they were staying at home with Grandma while mommy and daddy went to the hospital and that they would come over tomorrow and see us and their new baby.  Duncan was pretty excited. Millie just wanted us to leave so that she and grandma could play.
Off to the hospital we went.  I got all changed into the gown.  Blood was drawn... and then drawn again.  The IV was started and we settled in for baby and contraction monitoring.  Turns out I was having pretty regular contractions already.  The plan was to start the induction medicine at 9pm after monitoring and receive the first antibiotics, then go from there.  
I was monitored for a while and we played around with baby names, mostly taking names off of the list.  We still didn't know if baby was a boy or girl, it never really bothered me until we were there.  Now I wanted to know.  It also started to hit me about how un-prepared we really were.  I joked about it with friends for a month, but really never worried about not having everything done and "in place" until we were in the hospital having the baby. 
 Time ticked slowly on and we were ready to start the induction process.  Before it could happen I had to be examined to have a starting point and make sure nothing was wrong.  It was pretty apparent, from the look on the nurses face during the exam, that there was something wrong.  Panic started to creep in a little as she watched the monitors and re-examined.  "Are you feeling these contractions?" she asks.  I had to think about it, but in the end, the reply is no, not really.  "Well, you are dilated to nearly 4 and the contractions are getting closer together, so I don't think that you are going to be able to be induced".  I was pretty shocked.  Just four hours earlier I was told that there was no way the baby was ready and my body was not favorable to go into labor for at least another week.  Now I am being told that I can't be induced because they think I am in labor... and I can't even physically tell.  
The nurse left to call Dr. Key and find out what to do.  Chris and I just laughed at the whole situation.  A few minutes later the nurse came back in to inform us that I was not going to be induced, but I wasn't going home either.  If labor didn't pick up by 7am they would start pitocin.  In the meantime we should just wait it out and see what happens.  Monitors could be turned off until or unless I was getting uncomfortable and wanted an epidural.
From that point we decided to walk.  We did quite a few laps around the labor and delivery wing and then decided to try and get some sleep before things started to hurt.  Hospital beds are Very uncomfortable.  I did however get a few hours of sleep that were un-interrupted. 
 At around 6am the monitoring started again.  Contractions were still going, but no progress had really been made.  At 9am pitocin was started. 10am the baby's water was broken and contractions were starting to hurt a little... but we walked... and walked.  When we got back to the room I could no longer talk through the contractions and wanted the epidural.  At 12:30pm I was at a 6.  At 12:45 I got the epidural and it helped a little, but I think that he mostly missed. 
 We called to see if we could get a babysitter for the kids right after I was given the epidural.  We were able to get a hold of a great friend, Carmen, and she was so wonderful to go to our house and pick up the kids from my mom so that my mom could come to the hospital for the birth.  My mom arrived at 1:15pm and I was feeling WAY to much for the epidural to have been working.  The nurse was called and she said that the head was still to high, but I was nearly complete.  She said that head was to high to start pushing despite what I was feeling.  I think I made it through about five more contractions after she left the room before I screamed that the baby was coming out.  My mom checked under the sheet and ran for the door to get the nurses.  I am pretty sure that every nurse on the floor showed up in the room with her. 
 My Dr. didn't think that I would be ready to go so quickly, despite my history, so he wasn't on the floor and there was no time to page him.  A wonderful Midwife helped to deliver the baby (and I needed a LOT of guidance for this delivery as I could feel everything and I am a complete wuss).  After much screaming I was allowed to push and in two pushes we had a baby... BOY! 
 It took a little while to determine the gender as he decided not to breathe right away, had a huge knot in his cord, and then refused to un-cross his legs.  As soon as they got him to really cry they handed him up to my chest and let Chris cut the cord.  The baby's nurse didn't let him stay there for very long, but was very re-assuring that he was doing fine.  My mom went over to the warmer with the nurse and Chris and I watched as they weighed and measured him.  It was all over by 1:55pm.  I am glad that it was quick, as I am pretty sure that I would NOT have made it much longer than that.





After all of the fireworks my mom decided to go out and pick up some boy stuff for baby to have after his bath. Chris and I just watched our new bundle for a little while and talked about a few names... then we started to call the rest of the family and let them know of the arrival and gender. 
When my mom came back Chris went to get the kids and bring them to the hospital and my mom got to sit with the new baby in peace for a little while. Unfortunately my left leg still didn't work when Chris came back with the kids, so I wasn't able to get out of bed and introduce them to their new brother. I don't think that they noticed too much though. The kids were thrilled to see him. We all watched as the nurse took his footprints and gave him a bath.















After baby's bath, my mom took the other two kids home for dinner and bed.  After being asked by about a million people (hospital staff and family), Chris and I decided that we should probably come up with a name for our newest bundle.  Who knew that waiting on choosing a name would cause such a fuss.
 It was a difficult process for us.  We had way to many choices, but eventually narrowed it down to about four names. William, Samuel, Gideon, and Elliot.  We narrowed it down further by meaning.  William means resolute guardian, and Samuel means asked of God.  Duncan's name means dark warrior, so we decided to go with a warrior and a guardian... and Samuel seemed fitting to keep as a middle name since he was so un-expected in all aspects of his life.  We decided on Will for a nickname (I really don't want a Bill, Billy, or Willy).
We stayed one more day in the hospital to recover before going home.  We did discover that Will is much more relaxed at home with his familiar noise.  For some reason he sleeps much better when both siblings are up and going, no matter how much noise they make.  I am grateful.
William did hit a few snag's in recovery from birth.  Unfortunately he contracted an eye infection (a really nasty one) just a couple of days after birth.  We were at the Dr. nearly every day with him for his first two weeks of life.  Shortly after we got an edge on the eye infection he had to be circumcised. **now  before you get on me about circumcision and the words had to be circumcised, please realize that it is a personal choice, and had  to be done at that time to prevent further complications.  The Dr. prefers to use general anesthesia after 3 weeks of age.**  William is still recovering from both, but is on the mend.  I am not terribly worried about it.  He is now 3 weeks old and has gained 3 pounds and an inch in length!  He is generally content and happy, or sleeping (unless it is the middle of the night).
As a family we are all happy to have our newest addition.  Duncan's favorite phrase has turned into "awww, he is soooooo cute".  Millie is thrilled to give kisses and pats on the back, or wherever else she can get away with when I turn my head for even a moment.  We are all getting into a routine which I am sure will change weekly as we move into our new life together.








1 comment:

  1. That is about the most beautiful account of an exciting adventure. How lucky is Duncan to have such a wonderful and loving family. God Bless and thank you for sharing.

    Love - David Newhouse - Orlando, FL

    ReplyDelete