11.07.2011

Giving Thanks Week One

I have seen a myriad of posts already this month about giving thanks.  It occurred to me that it would be a wonderful thing for me to participate in.  There has been a distinct funk going on in this house over the last few weeks, and reflecting on all of the things that we (that I) am grateful for would be a wonderful change of scenery.  A new month (nearly) and a fresh start.

In an effort to actually achieve this goal (realistically) I figured I would post a week at a time.  That will give me the time to write how I feel about what I am grateful for and not rush through them.  Plus I might actually post once a week, and I am not likely to everyday.
So my #1
My Heavenly Father and Savior seems to be the most pressing on my mind.  I am sure that it reads a little over the top, but it is SO very true.  For the last few months in my life I have built such a wonderful relationship with my faith.  It has brought me so much peace and helped me think clearly through so much adversity.  Not to mention the times that are blissful and I can't help but feel so comforted and loved with all of the blessings and grace God has given my and my family.
#2
My Children.  They make my world go around.  Chris and I waited so long to have a family of our own.  We honestly cherish every moment, good or bad, that we get to be parents.  Every new experience, and every repeated one. From smiles and kisses, to potty training and time-outs.  There are so many lessons and emotions that I could never imagine living without.
#3
Indoor plumbing and electricity.  I don't mind going camping and "roughing it" for fun.  I enjoyed going on the pioneer trek and learning new ways to "live off the land".  However, I always have the simple comforts of home to look forward to going back to.  Hot baths or showers, running water that heats up without me having to start a fire, not having to "fetch" our CLEAN water, toilets, a stove, oven, lights, heat, etc.  I am so, SO very grateful for them all!
#4
The country that I live in and the freedoms, privileges, and security that we have.  The men and women who serve our country and the families that stand with them.  There are so many things that are taken for granted in our country.  There are times that it seems like we are going in the wrong direction, but there are so many wonderful things that make me so proud to me an American as well as a military wife and mother.
#5
Wonderful friends.  There are so many wonderful friendships in my life.  Some of them are old and solid. Some are fresh and budding.  All of them are cherished.  I am learning the importance of good friends and relationships outside of family as well as within.  They are so important and I am so grateful for the ones that I have had, and look forward to the many that will come.
#6
Good Humor.  It really goes with God's Grace in my life right now.  I don't think that I could function without being able to find humor in even the most traumatic of situations.  It is something that I have had to work on suppressing occasionally.  Tact is not always one of my strong points, and I have found that laughing during a sad point in movies, conversations, or situations is often frowned upon.  I am So very thankful for it none the less. =)
#7
Routine.  Daylight savings was a few days ago.  It has been a pretty rough transition on Millie.  We have had a really good routine going lately and she is completely thrown off.  I am thankful for the simplicity and structure that a daily routine has brought.  Whether it is for the kids, the animals, or for myself.  I have found that I wake up happier, the kids behave better and learn easier, things don't go neglected (for as long at any rate... but it is still difficult to WANT to clean some days), and everyone in the family has their own little role and HELPS OTHERS more.  There are times (like daylight savings, or sick days) when it gets a little tough to maintain, but it has helped us grow so much closer together in some of the simplest ways.  Such as cooking together IN ADDITION to sitting down and eating together.  Duncan is learning how to measure, count, and make a pretty fun mess along with something edible.  Millie has learned how to cheer Duncan on as well as sneak a taste or two in.  And mommy and daddy have learned that having fun in the kitchen and spending quality time together is worth the little extra patience and clean up.  It has also made bed time SOOOOO much better.  Here's hoping that baby 3 will pick up on routine well too.

No comments:

Post a Comment