11.10.2011

Giving Thanks Week Two

`Here is to another week of being thankful for all of our very many blessings.  I am finding it harder to narrow down the list and still be descriptive... but here it goes...
#8
Good health and Modern Medicine.  Our family has been sick this past week.  It hasn't been anything too terrible, mostly head colds.  I am so thankful that neither of my kids get sick easily, and when they do it isn't anything very terrible.  Duncan has only been really sick once when he was about a year (he caught the flu and took three full weeks to get better).  Even then he didn't have to go to the hospital or anything.  The most Millie has had is a cold, and I am still not convinced that it isn't just teething.  On the injury front we haven't had the best of luck.  But even with injuries in the family there has been nothing life threatening... a few stitches, some torn muscles, aches and pains for a while.  With the exception of Chris' knee, which will take a while to heal after surgery and physical therapy.  Even with that, nothing permanent, no broken bones, no long hospital stays... I am SO thankful.
#9
Generous hearts and helping hands.  I am so very grateful to all of the people that surround us with the love
and support that keep us going on everyday.  Some of it comes from the most unexpected places... Friends that we haven't seen or talked to in years that step up just when you need them most... Family that comes rushing to the rescue and makes sure that we know they are there for us... friends, neighbors, church members, and fellow troops that will make that extra effort to pick up the phone and just come and visit on a whim.  It all means the world to me.  I don't know that I will ever be able to give back even half as much as I have received in the support department, but I am determined to try and pay it forward at every chance I can.
#10
I am thankful for the job stability and security that we have.  I am so grateful that Chris has a job that we don't have to worry about much financially.  There has only been a few times that pay has been threatened with the government, and each time we were lucky enough to avoid it. We always know what his paycheck will be and when he will be paid. I have learned from friends and family how much of a gift that is, and don't want to take it for granted. I am grateful for the community that surrounds being in the military as well as the ability to stay home and raise my children.  There are quite a few changes going on in the military right now, and not all of them for the better, but I am so thankful that we have the opportunity to experience serving our country and learning as much as we have in the process.
#11
Today is Veteran's Day.  I feel like I am cheating a little on this one, already having stated love of country and the military security.  I am grateful for all of the Veterans that have served, are serving and will serve.  It is such a sacrifice for both the ones that serve, and those loved ones that support them in it.  Most of the people that I know serving AND supporting don't even give it a second thought.  It is nice to have a holiday where the sacrifice, at times the ULTIMATE sacrifice for freedom, is acknowledged.  Thank you to all of our troops! We will never forget those friends and loved ones we have lost as well as those that are in harms way to protect our freedoms.
#12
Humility.  Okay, so there are quite a few times when I am NOT grateful for this one, but in general I am.  Looking back at life I am always grateful, but during the moment it can be much more difficult.  I am the type of person that has to constantly be put back in my place.  Luckily it happens on a very regular basis and I am humbled by the new perspectives I am given. I am truly grateful for those in my life that are able to love me despite my lack of tact or wrong opinions and will help to guide me in the right direction. I am also grateful for those who will take the initiative let me know when I say or do something that is hurtful or wrong, and give me the opportunity to correct it or explain myself better without getting their feelings too hurt in the process.
#13
Modern technology and communication.  I would be truly lost in this world without it.  We don't live next to family, and probably won't get the chance to again any time soon.  With all of the technology that surrounds us I always feel that I am able to connect with family when I (or they) need or want to.  Even something as simple as a text message from my little sister goes a long way.  A phone call from a long lost friend, a parent, a grandparent... it is so reassuring.  The ability to look online and see pictures (recent ones even) of those that I love and know that all are okay and happy or maybe even pick up on them needing something.  It is truly amazing and I would be lost without it.
#14
Strong women in my life.  I am so grateful for the women in my life.  I haven't had many male role models in my life, but the females have tried to more than make up for it.  I have had the opportunity to see so many aspects of the roles of women.  It has helped shape my life in so many ways, and grows daily.  It has helped me learn to toughen up, soften down, be more caring, put my foot down, ask more of myself, ask less of others, and appreciate the world around me so much more.  So thank you to all of the women in my life that have been there along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment