11.28.2011

Giving Thanks Week Four

Well, Thanksgiving has come and gone.  It was a pretty hectic week, but really enjoyable.  We got to spend time with great friends, and met some new friends, ate some great food (not much of which I had to cook), cleaned the house, skyped with family, and put up the Christmas decor. We also got to spend a good amount of quality time together, just the four of us.  Plus our house had two showings.  We are gearing up
 for a busy next few weeks.  With doctors visits for both mommy's belly, daddy's knee, and a soon to be THREE year old boy's checkup.  We have Duncan's Third birthday coming up, much to soon for his mommy.  As well as daddy's knee surgery.  Chris' parents are coming up to help out with the kids and Chris for the surgery.  They are coming up early to spend some time with all of us before the surgery as well as after.  I am excited that they will get to be here for Duncan's birthday party.  He has never had a party before, and family has only been here for his actual birthday.
Well, now that everyone is all caught up, I guess that I can get on to what I am thankful for this last week.
#22
Unanswered Prayers.  It might seem strange, but I am sure that some of the previous listed things I have been thankful for are strange too... So this should fit right in.  There are times that I have prayed so hard for things that I thought I wanted or even needed in my life, and they never came to pass.  At those times I am always disheartened and feel as though I am being ignored.  However, I now know that God has always listened to my prayers and known just what i needed and how to get me there. For example, it took us years to have children of our own.  We were always blessed to take care of other people's kids temporarily, but we just couldn't seem to have our own.  Just when we had given it up to the Lord and decided that we could move on with life and adopt when we had our other life plans settled out or in the works.  And we moved on to things that we knew would be less than ideal situations to bring a child into.  Like moving to a new state, buying and remodeling our first house, and starting new full time jobs in a new area.  That is when we were blessed with children, right in the middle of it all, away from family, and just starting over again.  When we completely turned it over to the Lord.  I might not always like it at that moment, but I wouldn't change it for the world.  I have learned so many things from NOT getting what I prayed for.  I have received so many blessings that far surpass what I would have received if my prayers were answered.  So I am thankful for the knowledge that all of my prayers are heard, even acknowledged, but not always answered in the manner that I ask for... But ALWAYS for the better.
#23
My Home.  It is so easy to get caught up in the things that we dislike about our homes.  It is never clean enough, never seems large enough, is too cluttered, or too sparse, or too dark.  I would have to say that I fall into this trap fairly regularly.  Usually when something needs repaired or looked after and I don't want to do it.  I have to say that we have truly made this little house a Home though.  It is our first house, we have put blood, sweat, and tears into it.  Our children will (in all probability) be brought home to this house from the hospital.  We have a long "to do" list, but we have moved quite a bit over to the "done" list.  I will miss it when it finally sells.  I have to admit that as much as I long for a larger house, or a newer house, or whatever... there will always be a part of us planted in this one.  Our first one.  A nightmare and a dream all in one.  I am grateful for the memories we have created here.
#24
Changing seasons.  I love to see the seasons change.  All four of them.  I am grateful to have lived in areas that have four seasons.  Some are shorter than others, but each one brings a new mood and dynamic to life.  With Spring comes that renewal and hope for warmth, sunshine, birds, and grass.  New life coming from the bleak depths of winter that seemed so permanent.  Then Summer with outdoor activity, sunshine, heat, bare feet, new discoveries, laughter and laziness.  On to Autumn with it's crisp breezes and vibrant colors. Harvest's and feasts.  Yard work and anticipation of that first snowfall and the approaching winter.  Then on to Winter.  Dark, yet cheerful with Christmas Spirit and giving hearts.  Indoor imagination, warm fires, snuggles, hot chocolate, snowmen making, snowball fights, skiing, sledding, rosy cheeks, and runny noses.  They are so unique, each and every one.  I am so grateful to be able to experience each one of them and share the changes with my children.
#25
Being a Stay At Home Mom.  I couldn't imagine missing my kids "firsts".  I missed a few with Duncan when I was working at first.  It killed me.  I didn't want to miss out on all of those tiny things that make my world go 'round.  From first smiles, and first teeth, to first words and steps.  I don't want to miss a beat and I am so grateful that I am able to stay at home with them and share in their everyday discoveries.  I am not saying that I feel women shouldn't work, nor am I saying that mom's that do are bad parents in any way.  There are days where I long to go to work just for the adult interaction... I admire those that are able to do it, or even HAVE to work and force themselves to work hard in a career every day.  It would be difficult for me at this point to add to my mommy\wife duties.  So I am grateful that I have been given the opportunity to be with my munchkins and learn with them.
#26
Pictures.  I love looking back at pictures. I have been known to take a picture of everything (or in many cases 12 pictures of the same thing).  I love the memories captured.  It could be smiles all 'round or a screaming child that didn't get what they wanted.  In many cases the picture will jog a story behind the picture...The picture of Chris carving a Turkey surrounded by a few of the troops, but I hear them all laughing about it being the "Jewish Kosher Experimental Spice Turkey" and see the troop to Chris' right trying to learn how to carve for the first time.  He watches eagerly to get it right for "next time" when he isn't afraid to carve it himself.  Or that picture of our kitchen covered in towels with water dripping down from the ceiling light. All because Duncan brought the sprinkler inside to let me know that it was on.  How about that one from Sears where you can see Chris and my hands holding a naked Millie to get that "artistic" touch... but if you look closely you can see the scream forming on Millie's face because she is cold, not to mention that she just peed all over Chris.  Each memory is so precious.  I am grateful for each and every picture.
#27
Music.  Music can change the mood like a light switch.  It has always been a big part of my life.  It is everywhere.  Even in the silence there can be a song playing in your head.  There are songs with stories told out in full detail, and those where the music itself tells a story, no words necessary.  Church music, elevator music, Spanish music, classical music, Christmas music.  All so very different, and all able to touch each and every one of us. 
#28
History.  I am grateful to know where I came from. Even those that don't know where their roots are have a history.  I am thankful to know where to go from the history I have.  There is history everywhere.  We can make our own even.  History in the bible, in the books, in learning a trade or a skill, even in making something to eat.  I love to learn about family members that I have never met, or traditions that have been passed down, even if no longer practiced.  Chris' moms Apple Dumplings and Clam Chowder.  My grandma's Chili every Halloween.  Pictures and newspaper clippings of Great Grandma (my "old grama") demonstrating for Women's rights, or catching beads in New Orleans.  The smiles on the rest of my families faces when they see the photos and are taken back by her memory.  I am grateful to have the ability and technology at my fingertips to gain access to family history, and to be able to share it with my children.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love listening to you! You have such wonderful perspectives. I am so proud of who you are!

    ReplyDelete