12.15.2011

Turning Three

Where does the time go?!?!
It feels like yesterday that we brought our beautiful new son home.  We waited for years for him, and now he was ours.  I remember the awkward feeling the day after we brought him home, not knowing what to do with him other than stare at him lovingly and hold him as much as possible.  Soon he was rolling, then crawling, and walking.  A few garbled words turned into sentences and songs. Although I admit I might be just a tad biased, his imagination and intellect is astounding.  He is growing up before our eyes.  I might not have noticed it so keenly if we hadn't had another baby. I am both overjoyed and melancholy about how much he is growing up.  If only time could stand still a little longer each day so that we might be reminded to look a little harder, and enjoy the little blessings a bit more. 

This year Duncan had his very first birthday party with friends.  I must admit, I was a little nervous about it.  Our house is kinda small and the idea of 8 kids and their parents all in one place seemed a little impossible.  He LOVED it though.  He had a blast sharing all of his toys and having them all in his house and paying attention (as much as can be expected from little kids) to him.  He is a little ham. 
We were fortunate this year to have family in for his birthday too.  Twice!  Duncan's birthday party was a few days before his birthday because Chris was having a pretty big surgery (knee), and we didn't want daddy to miss out on the fun of a first party due to injury.  Chris' parents came up to help out with the kids and with Chris after his surgery.  I am so greatful that they did too.  Not only were they a huge help to my very pregnant and uncomfortable self, but they also got to be there for Duncan's first party.  The day before Duncan's birthday my mom and Chuck came to our house to visit for his actual birthday.  It was really nice all the way around.  Chris was faring much better than we thought he would after the surgery, so we were able to enjoy some activities outside of the house as well, including Duncan having Happy Birthday sung to him at Applebee's.  I am pretty sure that I have never seen his face so red. 
In all it seemed like a week of birthday celebration for my sweet (and sometimes sour) little three year old.  Now that family is all gone we are finding a new routine with daddy home 24/7. With Christmas fast approaching and so many activities packed into our calendar, we might not find a good routine until daddy goes back to work.  All fine in the end though.  These memories are so cherished, and a few sleepless nights from a broken routine will be well worth it in the big picture.  Here are a few pictures of the last couple of weeks to enjoy.






















1 comment:

  1. I can't believe he is already three and yet only three! We were thrilled to spend his birthday with my cookie!

    ReplyDelete