11.16.2011

Giving Thanks week Three

This week has started out pretty rough with illness going around the household.  I have managed to stay fairly healthy compared to the rest of them.  We took little Millie to the doc a few days ago.  She started crying after nap and didn't stop for nearly three hours until we were able to get her in.  Turns out she has a pretty nasty chest cold and an ear infection.  I was really hoping she didn't have an ear infection.  We got lucky with Duncan, he has never had one.  The doc said that if they don't have any by the time that they are two they probably never will.  I have had ear aches before, but never an ear infection that I can remember.  I can't imagine how painful that must be on such a little thing.  Duncan and Chris are both battling a chest and head cold.  We were told that it wasn't contagious anymore unless in direct contact (coughed on etc.), so here is hoping that anyone we visit with aren't struck by it as well.  Our house is going to smell like Lysol for a while anyway.  I really can't afford to get it at this point.  Chris needs to get over it soon or we might have to postpone his surgery yet again.  So with all of that being said, it has been pretty easy to find things to be thankful for so far.
#15
Prayer.  I am so very grateful for the peace of prayer.  It is a quiet tranquility that cannot be duplicated. 
Even when praying as a family it brings joy and a sense of peace to an otherwise hectic world... not to mention the blessings and thankfulness that comes as a result of prayer!  Just knowing that our Heavenly Father hears us and is with us in our trials and triumphs is such a great joy.  I am so grateful to be able to feel that presence and peace in my life.
#16
Family friendly company and entertainment.  The Holiday season is upon us. The hustle and bustle has started earlier and earlier every year it seems.  This year especially.  There are already Holiday parties, events, lights, shopping madness, and "the holiday rush" in full swing.  We celebrate a few birthdays of friends and family between the start of the Holiday season (which seems to be Halloween now) and New Years Day.  Millie's birthday is shortly after, and then we will be having new baby in February.  Even with all of that, I really look forward to the Holiday's every year.  I love the music, the smells, the food, the abundance of parties and activities, good cheer, and giving that goes around with it.  Nearly everything is kid friendly this time of year as well.  From Thanksgiving dinners and potlucks, to secret Santa's and Christmas parties.  There seems to be more opportunity to help those in need in more ways.  People seem to be more open to charity and more thankful in general.  I am grateful for the company that we get to share and the environments that we get to share it in.
#17
Transportation.  For the last few months we have been down to one car.  I hate not having a back up, but I am so grateful for the transportation that we do have.  Our jeep has held up rather well over the last few years.  I think it is on it's last leg.  Here is hoping that we can afford a new car at the beginning of the year.  In the meantime, I am so grateful for the ability to get around daily without having to find rides or public transportation.
#18
Cozy and uneventful stormy days.  As many know, and for those of you who don't, I am not a fan of bad weather conditions.  When it comes to driving in them I have a VERY difficult time.  I don't like being in a car at all, driving or riding, during or directly after bad weather.  Not rain, snow, ice, wind, whatever.  So I am grateful for the days that snow when I don't have anywhere that I need to be.  Even better when Chris doesn't have to go anywhere either (especially since we have only one car).  I like bundling up and playing in the snow, catching snowflakes, and burning off steam.  Then coming in and making hot chocolate, snuggling into warm blankets with the kids, and watching movies or reading a story.  Best days ever.
#19
To be broke. Don't get me wrong, I would be grateful to be rich too.  Let me explain... There have been days in our marriage where we have not been able to leave the house because we didn't have the gas money, and we didn't know how we were going to afford the next day. At times like these we were brought closer together and spent time with each other blissfully doing nothing much at all.  I treasure those times and the lessons that it taught us.  We have learned the difference between what we "need" and what we "want".  We have learned how to save and how to give.  We still have to put those lessons to practice a little better sometimes, but it no longer feels like such a "sacrifice" to not have what we want or what our kids want, but to give each other the time we NEED and spend less time Spending.
#20
A messy house.  I do like a clean house too, but cleaning up a messy house always lets me know that things aren't going to waste.  When our living room looks like a war zone, with toys scattered on every reachable surface I know that they are being played with.  Even if they are only touched to be kept from one another.  They are having fun and making memories for each other and for me.
#21
The Unknown.  I am known to be a "planner". I have also been known to be a bit of a control freak really.  I really like to know what is going on ahead of time and be prepared for it.  I am sure that if I was given the chance to see my future and know what was coming up I would plan out as much of it as possible.  Unfortunately I would also be living for "what's next".  Always looking forward and never being able to enjoy the moment and the memories.  So I am grateful for the opportunities where life has been pleasantly surprising, and even when they are not so pleasant but educational.  I hope that the future holds many more surprises in store and that I will have the patience to enjoy the blessings that I am given with each and every unknown that crosses my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment